RE: st: Testing Equality of Gini Coefficients

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Testing Equality of Gini Coefficients
Date   Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:43:05 +0100

I personally would recommend the jackknife confidence interval for the Gini coefficient. The Gini coefficient is a special case of Somers' D, which is one of the best-behaved statistics known to science in its rate of convergence to a Normal form under the Central Limit Theorem. However, I would recommend using the delta-jackknife, with the Normalizing and variance-stabilizing hyperbolic arctangent transformation advocated by Edwardes (1995), especially if one or other of the income distributions being compared is expected to be very unequal, with a large Gini coefficient. Newson (2006) gives a worked example of calculating a confidence interval for the Gini coefficient, using the Stata package -somersd-, which can be downloaded from SSC.

If the 2 samples are independent, then you can calculate confidence intervals for the difference between the 2 Gini coefficients, or for the back-transformed difference between the 2 hyperbolic arctangents, using the -parmby- and -metaparm- modules of the -parmest- package, which you can also download from SSC using the -ssc- command in Stata.

I hope this helps.

Roger

References

Edwardes, M. D. d. B. A confidence interval for Pr(X < Y) − Pr(X > Y) estimated from simple cluster samples. Biometrics 1995; 51: 571–578.

Newson R. Confidence intervals for rank statistics: Somers' D and extensions. The Stata Journal 2006; 6(3): 309-334. Download pre-publication draft from
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute