Re: st: power calculation and sample size

From   "stata_user stata_user" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: power calculation and sample size
Date   Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:52:25 +0100

Thanks Svend,

The value of 1.6% means in my case 0.016, therefore the sample will be much larger.

I have an other problem with three groups (I assume they have equal sizes), I am interested only in two, is the Bonferroni correction important in this case when using the sampsi?

It will be useful to know how to include information about censoring in the sampsi.

BW,

Sami

Sami wrote:

I would be highly thankful to you if you let me know
the way in which sample size can be calculated for
the following problem

I am studying the occurrence of a disease between two
groups. I have an annual average event rate of 1.6 %
and a follow up period of 5 years, I want to have a
power of 80% with alpha 5% I am looking to detect a
relative risk of 3.0 associated with group1 versus
group 2 .

Do you assume that there will be no censorings? If there
may be, you must make an assumption about the rate of
censorings. In the following I assume no censorings.

Next: Is the assumed incidence rate of 1.6% per year:
- for the non-exposed?
- for the exposed?
- a population average?

If the latter is the case, you also need an assumption
about the proportion exposed.

Assuming that the annual incidence rate of 1.6% is among the
unexposed, the five year incidence proportion is approximately
5*1.6% = 0.08 (actually it is 1-exp(-0.08) = 0.077, but that
is hardly important).

. sampsi .24 .08 , power(.80)

Estimated sample size for two-sample comparison of proportions

Test Ho: p1 = p2, where p1 is the proportion in population 1
and p2 is the proportion in population 2

Assumptions:
alpha = 0.0500 (two-sided)
power = 0.8000
p1 = 0.2400
p2 = 0.0800
n2/n1 = 1.00

Estimated required sample sizes:
n1 = 94
n2 = 94

But are these assumptions right? There are more sophisticated
tools for sample size estimation. That is fine, but the most
important is to use realistic assumptions.

Hope this helps
Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6