Re: st: Streg, Distri(logn) convergence issues

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Streg, Distri(logn) convergence issues
Date   Wed, 4 Apr 2007 16:58:59 +0100 (BST)

--- Shon Hiatt <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am using a natural logarithm event history analysis [streg,
> distribution (Logn)] and I continually obtain the following errors
> after multiple iterations:
>
> Discontinous region encountered
> Cannot compute an improvement
>
> Should I change the convergence tolerances (as shown under the Stata
> help "Maximize")? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No, it probably means that there is something wrong with your model
(the log normal distribution is not appropriate, you have variables
that are (almost) collinear, etc.) If you are really sure there is
nothing wrong with your model I would look for better starting values.
Try for instance to estimate an -streg- with the loglogistic
distribution (which is pretty similar) and use those parameters as
starting values. But if the loglogistic converges on its own and the
lognormal doesn't than that might tell you something...

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam