Re: st: How can I save results of a command as a variable

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How can I save results of a command as a variable
Date   Mon, 02 Apr 2007 16:31:08 -0400

After you use any command, you can type -return list-
to get a list of scalar values that may be saved from
the command.
===============Example =============================
. ainequal rank

---------------------------------------
       Inequality measures |       rank
---------------------------+-----------
          Gini coefficient |    0.46679
Theil index (GE(a), a = 1) |    0.36986
---------------------------------------

. return list

macros:
             r(theil) : ".3698631855111214"
              r(gini) : ".4667922732186306"

matrices:
                 r(b) :  2 x 1

.

This shows that the Gini coefficient is stored as a string
(not sure why) in the macro r(gini). If you wanted this to
be stored in a variable as a number you would type:

. gen gini = real(r(gini))

Hope this helps,
Jeph

GUO Lei wrote:
Dear all,
I'm not familiar with Stata yet. Could anybody please tell me how can I save an outcome to a variable.

For example, if I'm using ainequal downloaded from internet, and I have the result, one of which is Gini coefficient. My question is how can I save this outcome into some variable?

Thanks ahead! Have a good one!
best,
nick

??????????,??? Live Messenger; http://get.live.com/messenger/overview