Re: Re: st: SPSS-like tables in STATA? and Re: Rounding output toone decimal place

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: st: SPSS-like tables in STATA? and Re: Rounding output toone decimal place
Date   Mon, 02 Apr 2007 12:13:40 +0100

I agree with Thorsten's diagnosis.

I've added the scope for specifying valid percents,
cumulative valid percents, and reverse cumulative
valid percents to my program -groups-. Here -- as
someone who doesn't use SPSS and isn't even clear
what it is -- I have interpreted "valid" to mean "non-missing".

This will be available in due course from SSC once
I've changed the .hlp and sent the revised files
to Kit Baum, who as announced is away from base.

Meanwhile, -groups- can mimic -tabulate <varname>-
and round percents to 1 d.p.

Use -ssc- to install -groups-.

Thorsten Faas <[email protected]>

> In the meantime: Here is a short list of some SPSS commands,
> together with their Stata counterpart. -tab1- corresponds exactly
> to SPSS' FREQUENCIES command.

I think that's not quite true.

FRE in SPSS procudes something like this:
Value | Label | Freq | Percent | Valid Percent | Cumulative Percent

with the difference between percent and valid percent being that one
includes missing values when calculating percentages, the other does not.

"tab1 var" in Stata produces
Value | Label | Freq | Valid Percent | Cumulative Percent

i.e. the percentages including missing values are omitted.

"tab1 var, m" produces a table without the valid percentages.

I think Sebastian's suggestions do not solve the problem either; however
  I don't have one either, but would be very much interested in learning
about one, too, as I find it quite useful to have both columns that SPSS
produces in one stata table.