From   "David Cobey" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Data management
Date   Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:15:15 -0400

Other people may have better ideas but here is what I would do.
I would create a temporary variable for each id to hold the changes and then
copy them over all at once.

egen id= group(code)
gen temporary_id = .

replace temporary_id=3 if id==1;
replace temporary_id=5 if id==2;
replace temporary_id=8 if id==3;

id = temporary_id
drop temporary_id

Hope this helps,

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Roy,Suryadipta
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2007 5:59 PM
Subject: st: Data management

I have a panel data of (say) 100 countries for 10 years. I
am trying to attach identification numbers for these
countries based on another dataset for merging purposes
later on. So, I started with

a. egen id= group(code), where "code" is the code numbers
of these countries, e.g. ABW, AFG etc.

b. Then I am trying to replace these id-s with
replace id=3 if id==1;
replace id=5 if id==2;
replace id=8 if id==3;

But the 3rd line of the command is replacing the first set
of id-s also. I would greatly appreciate if someone can
suggest how to take care of this.