Re: st: RE: finding a value from a distribution based on percentile

From   Shuaizhang Feng <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: finding a value from a distribution based on percentile
Date   Mon, 19 Mar 2007 03:04:01 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for your reply.

But suppose the percentiles I want are different for
each obs. Can I do this?

For example, let y be the variable and x is the
percentile I want.

Can I use "centile y, centile(x)" or something like
that?

Thanks.

Shuaizhang

--- Maarten Buis <[email protected]> wrote:

> --- Shuaizhang Feng wrote:
> > Is there an easy way to find a value corresponding
> > any given percentile in stata?
> >
> > suppose y is the variable that I am interested,
> how do
> > i find the 45th percentile of the distribution of
> y?
>
> This example below shows that 45th percentile of
> weight
> is 2830 lbs.
> *-------- begin example ---------
> sysuse auto, clear
> centile weight, centile(45)
> *-------- end example -----------
> (For more on how to use examples I sent to the
> Statalist, see
> http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/stata/exampleFAQ.html )
>
> Hope this helps,
> Maarten

> Maarten L. Buis
> Department of Social Research Methodology
> Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
> Boelelaan 1081
> 1081 HV Amsterdam
> The Netherlands
>
> visiting address:
> Buitenveldertselaan 3 (Metropolitan), room Z434
>
> +31 20 5986715
>
> http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.