Re: st: Weights in survey design

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Weights in survey design
Date   Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:34:58 -0500

First of all, your original weights are wrong, anyway: they should add
up to the population size, may be up to some sampling variability. If
you have 8664 units and your population size is 8664, it means that
you have a census! If you are dealing with ratios and regression
models, the issue isn't of great importance, but you still would want
to have everything implemented properly.

Then by dropping units, you are confusing the software in terms of
thinking how the data were collected. In particular, the pairwise
probabilities of selection (leading to the variances of the estimates)
will be way off (and so will your variance). If you had some nice
design (with some sort of proportional allocations, etc.), then those
properties will be lost, the cluster sizes will get wrong, etc. DON'T
DO THAT, as the bottom line.

I am pretty sure there are other, and better, explanations in the
[SVY] manual. Also, the FAQ
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/zerowgt.html might be helpful,
as essentially with the -subpop- analysis, you are zeroing out the
weights for non-subpopulation units.