Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Using two cohorts of panel data together

From   bai0022 <>
Subject   st: Using two cohorts of panel data together
Date   Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:01:06 +1030

I am using two cohorts of panel data together. One has 3 waves, one as two waves. They are both
surveys of immigrants (the LSIA), collected about 5 years apart. What I want
to know is if anyone know under what conditions (Also what Stata commands) I can put them together and see
if they can be analysed as a single data set.

specifically with the panel data, the main issue is that
the stratification was different for the 2 surveys,

LSIA 1 - by 5 Visa eligibility categories and 50 region/country of birth.
LSIA 2 - by 12 Visa eligibility categories and 18 region of birth

So, what are implications for pooling the data?

Any suggestions and helps would be appreciated.

* For searches and help try: