Re: st: binary format type str question

From   Mark Fisher <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: binary format type str question
Date   Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:21:42 -0500

Thank you for the offer, but I do not really need them and I probably will give up now. (Instead I will ask Gelman to supply the data sets in another format.) If I decide to pursue this further, I will first look at the C code that R uses to read the versions 5, 6, 7, and 7se in addition to 8. (Thanks to Sergiy Radyakin for pointing me to that.)

Again, thank you for all your help.

--Mark.

William Gould, Stata wrote:

Mark Fisher <[email protected]> writes,

[...] I have no problems reading the test files.  Also, I now realize the
first byte in the files I am having trouble with is not 113 by 110. Is there
a document that explains this format (and other non-113 Stata formats) or
should I just give up?
I would give up, but it depends how serious you are about file conversion.
Modern Statas read old-format datasets, so all a Stata user has to do to translate a dataset to modern format is type,
. use mydata
. save, replace

A 110 dataset, for you information, is from Stata 7, released December of
2000. Stata 8, it's replacement, uses format 112, was released January of
2003. Format 111 is for Stata/SE 7, released Feb. of 2002. I could go on.
Theseday, however, all Statas use a single format, 113.

We do not have documents on-line that describe the different formats but, if you really want them, we will produce them. It would take us a few weeks
and perhaps a couple of months to do that.

-- Bill
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/