Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Re: special characters in Stata graphics

From   Phil Schumm <>
Subject   Re: st: Re: special characters in Stata graphics
Date   Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:58:59 -0600

On Dec 14, 2006, at 8:58 AM, Kit Baum wrote:
I would like to have a response to the broader issue raised in my message. It is not acceptable to produce, e.g., graphs in Stata that must be edited by some kludge downstream to contain UTF-8 characters that are not available in the ISO-8859-1 charset (such as the Greek alphabet, mathematical symbols, etc.) We need UTF-8 (broadly, Unicode) handling to make graphs fully presentation- quality. We can get around this for tables as routines like Ben Jann's -estout- can write TeX, including the TeX codes for all desired characters (sorry, you MS Word devotees have some manual work to do). But for graphics, UTF-8/Unicode support is really necessary.

Was there ever a reply to Kit's broader question here (sorry if I missed it)? I just generated a plot for which it would have been nice to have U+2074 and U+2075 (superscript 4 and 5) in the axes labels.

-- Phil

* For searches and help try: