RE: st: Box plot-like graph with mean, 95 percent CI

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Box plot-like graph with mean, 95 percent CI
Date   Thu, 8 Mar 2007 12:12:03 -0000

See also -eclplot- (Roger Newson) or -ciplot- (mine) from SSC.

Sebastian F. B�chte

> you can achieve what you describe through overlaying two graphs. You
> will need a graph of type -scatter- and a graph of type -spike-.
>
> Let's say you dataset contains four variables:
>
> mean_var  ->   variable holding the mean
> lcl_var   ->   variable holding the lower confidence limit
> ucl_var   ->   variable holding the upper confidence limit
> x_var     ->   some variable over which you want to graph the above
>                mentioned variables
>
> The apppropiate -graph- command would then be:
>
> twoway                                          ///
>      || scatter mean_var x_var, [options]       ///
>      || rspike lcl_var ucl_var x_var, [options]  ///
>      || , [overall options,eg, legendoptions]
>
> This could of course also be written down differently,eg, just in line
> omitting the "||" and the "///", but I just like the very structured
> appearance of the above presented.

Sebastian Bauhoff

> > I need to make a graph that looks like a box plot, but
> shows the mean
> > and 95 percent CI.  Basically I want the graph to have a dot for the
> > mean and a thin like for the CI, and all that for about 10
> variables on
> > the x-axis.  I unsuccessfully tried to get a twoway graph
> to work using
> > the code on
> >
> http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/library/GraphExamples/code/
tworcap.htm