RE: st: Can you search within a dataset for a particular character?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Can you search within a dataset for a particular character?
Date   Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:06:39 -0000

-ds- invoked like this scans variable labels. -ds-
does not scan values. Nor does -lookfor- scan values.

To scan values, use -index()- (Stata <= 9) or
-strpos()- (Stata 9), as recommended by Michael Blasnik
and David Kantor. Note that these are really the same
function. -index()- is still there in Stata 9 (and in fact
-strpos()- is there in Stata 8.2, at least).

David Jacobs