Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: combining two variables

From   Philipp Rehm <>
Subject   Re: st: combining two variables
Date   Wed, 07 Mar 2007 11:29:42 -0500

gen newvar=var1
replace newvar=var2 if newvar==.

(you can also exchange var1 and var2; it depends on what you want)

Philipp wrote:
Thank you to everyone who answered my last question on
creating a variable corresponding to the row number.

Now I have a question about combining the data from two
variables (in the same data set) into one variable. I want to
combine the variables in such a way that the data from one
variable can replace the missing values from the other. I have
created an example of what I am looking for below:

Have: Want:
var1 var2 newvar
. 2 2
. 8 8