Re: st: How to create a new variable which contains the responsefrom anot=

From   Klaus Haberkern <[email protected]>
To   Chiung-Ya Tang <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: How to create a new variable which contains the responsefrom anot=
Date   Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:27:51 +0100

Hi Chiungya,

if you have no more than two members in a group, the following syntax may work
with "[_n+1]" you can refers to the case in the following line

It's important that the data are sorted as in your example:

Group member V1
=E3=80=801 1 3.2
=E3=80=801 2 4.5
=E3=80=802 1 3.1
=E3=80=802 2 3.3
=E3=80=803 1 .
=E3=80=803 2 2.3

gen v2=.

*[_n+1] taking the values from the next line (that is person in the group) in the data, [by group, sort] only when line below represents person in the same group
by group, sort: replace v2=v1[_n+1] if v2==.

*[_n-1] taking the values from the line before in the data, [by group] only when line above represents a person of the same group
by group: replace v2=v1[_n-1] if v2==.

If you have more persons in a group you have to make sure, that you refer to the right case in a group.
For example, if you analyse families, and you want to relate both parents, but not the children in a household, you have to know, who is the partner of the respondent: e.g. vars id (own id) and pid (id of partner)

sort group id
by group: replace v2=v1[_n+1] if v2==. & pid==id[_n+1]
by group, sort: replace v2=v1[_n-1] if v2==. & pid==id[_n-1]

if difference between id and pid >1 or <-1 you have to gone on like that

by group: replace v2=v1[_n+2] if v2==. & pid==id[_n+2]
etc

Hope this helps,
Klaus

______