Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Ordering a dataset by frequency

Subject   st: Ordering a dataset by frequency
Date   Mon, 05 Mar 2007 12:33:28 -0500

I have a dataset of 50,000 names. I need to order them by frequency so that the names that recur the most are at the top of the list, decreasing by frequency. Thus far I have used bigtab to tabulate the results, but I don't know how to order such a large dataset by freq. , since many commands are refused due to having "too many variables". The names are listed as string variables. I used encode name, gen(firstname) to create a new variable with numerical value, but when I use the sort command it sorts it into alphabetical order. Do you have any idea how I order the data by frequency? Thanks!
* For searches and help try: