RE: st: RE: RE: Stata formulas

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: Stata formulas
Date   Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:59:30 -0000

I was there and I do remember this. But extra material
on the website and .pdf or other versions of the manual
on disk could be different propositions. And in any
case StataCorp, like Keynes in other contexts, can
change their minds if they decide they were wrong.

There is another take on this that everyone can consider.

Look into your hearts. Imagine this scenario:

1. You pay money for a disk version of the manuals.

2. Your colleagues, students, partners, children, pets come
to you and say "I hear you have the Stata manuals on CD.
May I borrow the disk to copy the files?"

If you would say "Yes", you are part of the problem.
Many, perhaps most, of those unpaid copies would not be
lost sales, but some would be. That is the nub. And
copies can become other copies, as we all know.

Of course, anyone could photocopy the printed manuals, but
evidently that's less attractive except for small
sections.

Philip Ryan