Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: svy: mean - # of observations and missing SEs

From   "Vivian Hoffmann" <>
Subject   st: svy: mean - # of observations and missing SEs
Date   Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:29:33 -0500 (EST)

Hi -

I'm computing means using svy: mean and I'm puzzled by two things:

1. The number of observations reported with the summary statistics is
generally smaller than the number of observations in my sample (or
subsample). This is the case even when I know the data on the variables to
be summarized are complete for these observations.

2. For some sub-populations I get the following error message:

Note: Missing standard error due to stratum with single sampling unit; see
help svydes.

So I omit the observations which are singletons within a stratum. But I
continue to get the same error. The error disappears when I drop some of
the variables to be summarized.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks for your help,

Vivian Hoffmann