Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Should tempfile names always be quoted nowadays?

From   khigbee@stata.com
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Should tempfile names always be quoted nowadays?
Date   Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:27:25 -0600

Roger Newson <r.newson@imperial.ac.uk> asks about putting quotes
around tempfile names.

> ... Does Stata have a policy on handling tempfile names with
> embedded spaces (and other unusual characters)? And, in future,
> when writing cross-platform ado-files, would users be recommended
> to use simple compound quotes, or to use compound double quotes,
> or to use something else again, to protect against even more
> unusual characters in tempfile names?

Here at StataCorp we now try to put filenames--including tempfile
names--in double quotes, and usually compound double quotes for
added safety.  The double quotes will take care of the problem of
having spaces in the path or file name.  Compound double quotes
are maybe a bit of an overkill, but will protect against truly
strange path or file names.

Ken Higbee    khigbee@stata.com
StataCorp     1-800-STATAPC