From   David Winter <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Using ODBC
Date   Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:02:18 +0000

Dear Statalisters,

I use SQL server 2000 to store my data.  I have set up DSNs to the various databases and pushed them to the workstations on my network.  The SQL server security settings are different for each user and database.  I have recently discovered the -odbc- command.  My questions are:

Are the security settings from the underlying SQL tables inherited by Stata.  For example, I have a database for reference with read-only tables. Will Stata still allow records/variables to be added or data overwritten?

How does the -odbc load- command work? It appears to load the data as a read-only view.

What I want to be able to do allow users to load a reference file, create new variables and run analyses but not alter the original data in any way.

Best wishes,

Mr David L. Winter, HNC
IT Manager
Centre for Childhood Cancer Survivor Studies
Department of Public Health & Epidemiology
University of Birmingham
B15 2TT
tel: +44 (0)121 4146766
fax: +44 (0)121 4147923