Re: st: Mahalanobis Distances/Syntax/Stata

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Mahalanobis Distances/Syntax/Stata
Date   Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:15:09 -0500

To Anthony Petrosino:

I'm not going to try to understand the code that you presented. But I should tell you that I have a set of programs, available on SSC, that do a Mahalanobis distance measure and selection. Type
ssc desc mahapick
to see a description, or
ssc inst mahapick
to download it.

This works nothing like the code you presented (I'm not accustomed to thinking in matrices), though maybe the result is the same. (??) For each treated case it generates the distance measure in a (temp) variable; then it does the selection for that case; drops the distance measure variable, and goes on to the next treated case. But there is an option for saving the distance measure variable in a dataset (long-shaped).

I hope this helps; good luck.
--David