Re: st: unhelpful error message when running xtmixed on Stata 9.2

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: unhelpful error message when running xtmixed on Stata 9.2
Date   Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:23:51 +0000 (GMT)

If a model doesn't converge I always start with simpler models and add
step by step random effects, interactions, etc. This usually enables me
to find the problem. (usually its me...)

Hope this helps,
Maarten

--- Ashutosh Patil <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello Folks:
>
> I am running xtmixed with a 3-level design. I am looking for the
> significance of cross-level effects, and also for significance of
> fixed
> and random coefficients.
>
> I am running this on Stata 9.2 (with all the latest updates). I read
> on
> http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?whatsnew that this problem of "hessian
> becoming unstable and/or assymmetric" has been overcome in the latest
> Stata update.
>
> However, with ML (and reml), the program ends and it does provide me
> the
> output. However, there are two warning messages in red. The first is,
> "Hessian has become unstable or asymmetric". And, the second is,
> "Warning:
> convergence not achieved; estimates are based on iterated EM".
>
> What do I conclude with this. Is there any ill-conditioning of the
> data?
> Or, is this bug in Stata?
>
> Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash

> Be a PS3 game guru.
> Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at Yahoo!
> Games.

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081