st: RE: -listtex- header: more than 502 characters possible?

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: -listtex- header: more than 502 characters possible?
Date   Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:42:44 -0000

I too would definitely like to know the answer to this question. I find
exactly the same 502-character limit when I run Friedrich's example
under my Intercooled Stata 9.2 (also under Windows XP) and open the
output file in my text editor (TextPad Version 4.7.3). I have not
knowingly programmed this limit into -listtex-, which stores the header
lines as a macro and outputs them using the -file- command and the macro
function -macval()-. (The code is included below in case anybody wants
to check.) The 502-character limit persisted when I experimentally
updated -listtex- to Stata 9 (it is currently Stata 8), so it does not
seem to be connected with the old Intercooled Stata 8 limits. As I have
not explicitly included a 502-character limit in -listtex-, and as the
limit to the length of a macro is 67,784 characters (not 502
characters), it seems that the limit that Friedrich and I have
encountered is probably either in Stata or in Windows XP. It does not
seem to be in TextPad, bexause it persists when I use the -type- option
of -listtex- instead of a -using- qualifier, causing the output to be
routed to the Stata log. It is not likely to connected with a limit on
the length of a Stata command line, as that limit is 67,800 in
Intercooled Stata 9 (according to the on-line help for -limits-). Might
it be a problem with the -file- command?

Best wishes

Roger

**** BEGINNING OF Stata CODE - CUT HERE
*
 Copy temporary output file to permanent output file,
 adding headlines and footlines if requested *;
local nhead:word count `headlines';
local nfoot:word count `footlines';
if `nhead'<=0 & `nfoot'<=0 {;
  * No headlines or footlines *;
  copy `tempout' `using', text `replace';
};
else {;
  tempfile tempout2;
  tempname handle1 handle2;
  file open `handle2' using `tempout2', write text;
  forv i1=1(1)`nhead' {;
    local linecur:word `i1' of `macval(headlines)';
    file write `handle2' `"`macval(linecur)'"' _n;
  };
  file open `handle1' using `tempout',read;
  file read `handle1' linecur;
  while r(eof)==0 {;
    file write `handle2' `"`macval(linecur)'"' _n;
    file read `handle1' linecur;
  };
  file close `handle1';
  forv i1=1(1)`nfoot' {;
    local linecur:word `i1' of `macval(footlines)';
    file write `handle2' `"`macval(linecur)'"' _n;
  };
  file close `handle2';
  copy `tempout2' `using', text `replace';
};
**** END OF Stata CODE - CUT HERE

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics