st: fastgini -- not so fast

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: fastgini -- not so fast
Date   Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:12:00 -0500

Fourozan said

Dear all,
Regarding "fastgini" that was mentioned by Zurab,

What does this error mean and how can I fix it?
"
fastgini income [w=weight], jk
unrecognized command:  mata
(error occurred while loading fastgini.ado)"

It means that you are running Stata 8.x, not Stata 9.x.

Against my better judgement I accepted fastgini for SSC without
demanding a version statement, as I rationalized that as the routine
invokes Mata it was obvious that it needed version 9. But Stata
doesn't know that until you try to invoke Mata. I have asked Zurab to
submit a new copy of fastgini with the appropriate version statement.

Routines submitted to the SSC Archive should always contain version
statements in the code, as that information is highlighted in ssc
whatsnew to indicate whether a user can make use of a particular
package.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html