Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: stepwise like SPSS? [was: RE: st: Means test]

From   David Zatz <>
Subject   Re: stepwise like SPSS? [was: RE: st: Means test]
Date   Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:22:55 -0500

Doing this, I end up with exactly the same results SPSS provides. This is
wondrous - as is the bestreg program that I will be experimenting with next
- as it will allow me to drop SPSS (costly and clunky, and can't be used on
my current Mac) for Stata.

Thank you, all!

>[From Richard Williams:]
>Here is a not too painful way to get more stepwise information from
>Stata.  Basically, just run the regressions twice: Once with
>stepwise, and then again with nestreg.  With nestreg, specify the
>vars in the same order that stepwise added them.  Example:

[BestReg from Zurab Sajaia]

[Macro from Ward]