Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: random subsample - sample weights

From   "Ellen Van de Poel" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: random subsample - sample weights
Date   Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:14:16 +0100

Dear all,
I want to draw a random subsample from my data, but taking into account my
sample weights.
I thought of inflating my data (with the command "expand") to get rid of the
weights and then draw a random subsample from the expanded data. But I'm not
sure whether this is correct, since then I can have the same observation
multiple times in the random subsample?
The extra difficulty is that I am working with matrix language. The code
where the random subsample is drawn looks something like this:
p0i = p0[sort(unorder(rows(p0))[|1 \ n|],1)]

So I take the first n observations, that are drawn randomly from p0, and
then sort them again.

Thereafter I match this random subsample with another sample (I'm doing a
Fairlie decomposition). So I guess it is necessary to account for the sample
weights when I match the random subsample with another sample?

Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Ellen Van de Poel

Ellen Van de Poel

Department of Applied Economics

Erasmus School of Economics and Business Economics

Erasmus University Rotterdam

Burg. Oudlaan 50

3000 DR Rotterdam

The Netherlands