st: RE: Means test (and "robust" variances)

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Means test (and "robust" variances)
Date   Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:22:53 -0000

I don't know who or what DAAS 2003 is. However, if you want to estimate
a standard error for the mean of a subpopulation represented by only one
unit in a sample, then, in general, you have to use a non-Huber sampling
variance estimate, and so estimate the population variability of the
subpopulation using the sample variability of other subpopulations. To
do this, you must assume that the variability of the different
subpopulations has a common pattern, such as an equal variance, as
assumed by the equal-variance t-test. I do not know how valid an
assumption this is in your case.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger