Re: st: How to calculate mean of other individuals on the same group

From   "Quang Nguyen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to calculate mean of other individuals on the same group
Date   Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:15:37 -1000

Dear Ryan,

Excellent! Thanks so much. I highly appreciate it.
Have A Wonderful Day!
Sincerely yours,

Quang

On 2/13/07, Ryan Herzog <[email protected]> wrote:
Quang Nguyen wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> A simplified version of my data looks as follows:
>
> ID      Group     X
> 1       a             5
> 2       a             7
> 3       a             9
> 4       a             8
> 5       b             3
> 6       b             4
> 7       b             9
>
> I would like to generate a new variable whose value is the average of
> other individual in the same group as the concerned individual. For
> example, for the first individual (ID=1), this will be: (7+9+8)/3= 8.
> For the 6th individual, this will be (3+9)/2=6 and so on.
>
> I would highly appreciate if someone could suggest me a solution for
> this.
> Thanks and Have A Great Day!
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Quang

Generate the sum of each group: egen sum_var = sum(X), by(group)
Subtract the X value for that Id:  gen sum_less =  sum_var - X
Generate a count variable by group: egen count_var = count(X), by(group)
Subtract one from count, to exclude the ID's observation: gen count_less
= count_var - 1
gen mean_X = sum_less / count_less

Ryan