Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Data management

From   "Roy,Suryadipta" <>
Subject   st: Data management
Date   Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:43:56 -0600

I am trying to generate a new variable for the following form of data:
id var
1 A
2 B
3 C
4 D
5 E

I am trying to generate a third column where the 1st observation= A/(B+C+D+E); 2nd observation= B/(A+C+D+E), and so for all the five observations. Any help will be highly appreciated. I am wondering if I need to do some programming in such cases; so any guidance in this direction (so that I might be more self-sufficient henceforth) will be very helpful.

* For searches and help try: