RE: st: How to spolit variable info to multiple variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: How to spolit variable info to multiple variables
Date   Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:16:50 -0000

That is an answer to a different question, as I
understand it. (Nor is this specific question anything to
do with -reshape-, as another answer had it.)

A value of 145 in this example means that the individual belongs
in categories 1, 4 and 5. Thus the use of a numeric variable
is incidental: it could also be string.

forval i = 1/5 {
	gen varA`i' = cond(index(string(varA), "`i'"), 1, .)
}

is my suggestion.

. findit multiple responses

turns up various material including

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Dealing with multiple responses
        4/05    How do I deal with multiple responses?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/multresp.html

SJ-5-1  st0082  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tabulation of multiple responses
        Q1/05   SJ 5(1):92--122
        introduces new commands for the computation of one- and
        two-way tables of multiple responses

SJ-3-1  pr0008   Speaking Stata: On structure & shape: the case of mult. resp.
        Q1/03   SJ 3(1):81--99                                   (no commands)
        discussion of data manipulations for multiple response data

SamL

> Try the -tab- command.  Specifically, if I have variable
> Married, which
> has several categories (say, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5), I can type:
>
> tab1 Married, generate(marx)
>
> and that will produce 5 variables, marx1, marx2, marx3, and
> so on, with
> marx1=1 for all cases where Married=1, and so on.

Pritpal Marjara