st: Re: ivreg2

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: ivreg2
Date   Sun, 4 Feb 2007 09:00:15 -0500

1) That sounds sensible.
2) As I understand it the distribution of the S-Y critical values differ depending on, among other things, the underlying estimator. So I would not make much of the fact that the CVs differ between IV-GMM and LIML.
3) In the context of a single FSR, the notion that the ANOVA F should exceed 10 is a rule of thumb suggesting that the FSR is reasonably strong. The first example in ivreg2 help shows a model with a single endogenous regressor for which F = 13.79 (zero pvalue). The Anderson canon. corr. LR stat. is 54, with a pvalue of 0, ad the Cragg-Donald min eigenvalue stat is 56, with a pvalue of zero. The null for each of these tests is underidentification, with rejection indicating that the model is identified. The latest version of ivreg2 (soon to be released) reformats these results to make the underlying hypotheses clear. However that same model has a significant Sargan test statistic, suggesting that the overidentifying restrictions are soundly rejected by the data. This implies that the instruments are inadequate and must be replaced. So you can have sufficiently strong instruments but still fail the Sargan (or Hansen J, in IV-GMM) test. I would worry about that in your model.

Kit

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html