Re: st: Non-linear MLE programming + inequality constraints

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Non-linear MLE programming + inequality constraints
Date   Thu, 1 Feb 2007 07:20:05 +0000 (GMT)

There is no command in Stata that enables you to use an inequality
constraint. There are tricks you can use. For instance: A variance must
be larger then zero, so instead of maximizing the variance you can
maximize the ln(variance), a proportion must remain between zero and
one, so instead of maximizing the proportion one can maximize the logit
of the proportion, a correlation must stay between -1 and 1 so instead
of maximizing the correlation one can maximize the Fisher Z transformed
correlation.

However, Nick just explained that you do not need to do that, and I
agree. Adding some constant to a variable so that the log doesn't
become zero is making an error, maybe or maybe not a necessary error
but still an error, why do you expect your data to be able to inform
you about an error?

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis