st: xtreg or xtmixed - how to obtain standard errors of effects

From   "Maciej Jakubowski" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: xtreg or xtmixed - how to obtain standard errors of effects
Date   Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:26:02 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I would like to obtain confidence intervals for fixed or random effects (intercepts) after xtreg or xtmixed (not for coefficients in the model but for group effects).

Using -predict var, u- I can obtain effects assigned to every group but how to obtain relevant standard errors? I know that using gllamm both effects point estimates and its standard errors can be obtained by -gllapred var, reff- but I prefer xtmixed and xtreg. I did some reading but still it is not clear to me what formula should be used.

Could anybody explain me how I should calculate standard errors of effects or where can I find info how to do it?

Thanks

Maciej Jakubowski
*
* For searches and help try: