Re: st: "alternative" stepwise approaches: Hierachical and

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: "alternative" stepwise approaches: Hierachical and
Date   Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:05:33 +0900

Richard Williams wrote (excerpt):

When should you use the "mixed" approach?  I guess if you want to be
as mindlessly atheoretical as possible, "mixed" is even better than
straight forward or backwards selection.  stepwise approaches in
general don't attract high praise, although i think they sometimes
can have a little merit (e.g. it can be nice to see if a mindless
atheoretical model comes out the same as or close to the model you
derived theoretically).

The book isn't at-hand at the moment, but as I recall, Frank E. Harrell,
Jr., in his _Regression Modeling Strategies_ (New York:  Springer-Verlag,
2001) suggests backward selection if you're going to use stepwise procedures
at all.  As it turns out, this is the default in Stata.

Joseph Coveney