Re: st: Test Rho

From   Garry Anderson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Test Rho
Date   Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:44:57 +1100

Hello Irene,

My interpretation is that it is testing if the panel-level variance component (sigma_v^2) is zero.

rho = sigma_v^2 / (sigma_v^2 + sigma_e^2)

which is the proportion of the total residual variance contributed by the panel-level variance component.

However, in my opinion, it is the variance inflation factor (VIF) that is more important.

VIF = 1 + (n' - 1) rho

where n' is the average number of observations per panel.
If one has a large n', the VIF inflation factor can be substantially more than one, even if rho is small. So, a small rho that is not statistically significant can have a large numerical VIF.
I suppose it comes down to what is a large VIF, rather than the statistical significance of rho?
Is say a VIF of 1.3 large?

It is important that you are using the 12 Jan 2007 update to Stata 9.2 because versions prior to this could ignore large panels when fitting the model. This could effect the value of rho and hence the VIF.

Regards, Garry Anderson
Dept Veterinary Science
University of Melbourne
Australia