st: Re: RE: Re: xtivreg2

From   "Zou Hong" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: Re: xtivreg2
Date   Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:02:50 +0800

Dear Mark,

Many thanks for the reply.

I wonder why when I used STATA run a FE model, these "singletons" are were droped out, the total number of observations reported by STATA includes those 214 "singletons".

Cheers
Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: "Schaffer, Mark E" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 9:20 AM
Subject: st: RE: Re: xtivreg2

Joe,

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Zou Hong
Sent: 23 January 2007 10:08
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Re: xtivreg2

Dear Kit,

Many thanks for your kind suggestion.
I have installed xtivreg2 and run the test as follows.

ttset code year
xtivreg2 y1 x1 x2 x3 (y2 = x4 x5), fe robust endog(y2)

I am suspicious that y2 is endogenous to y1 and want to test
this using a fixed-effect estimation with robust standard
errors. Is the above setup correct?

Can I claim that the above conducted the DWH test using a
fixed-effect estimation with roubt standard errors?
Yes, but your terminology isn't quite right.  The C test (or GMM
distance test) is more general than the DWH test.

Having run the models, I found:

Warning - singleton groups detected.  214 observation(s) not used.
Regarding your question about singletons - these are groups which have
only one member.  In a fixed effects estimation, they drop out
completely.  Put another way, if you dropped these observations and
re-ran your fixed effects estimation, your estimates would be exactly
the same.  It's easy to see why - the fixed effects estimator explains
the "within-group" variation, and when a group has 1 member, there is no
"within-group" variation to explain.

HTH,
Mark

FIXED EFFECTS ESTIMATION
------------------------
Number of groups =       492                    Obs per group: min =
2
                                                               avg =
3.7
                                                               max =
7

(regression output here)
Test statistic(s) not robust
----------------
Cragg-Donald F statistic (weak identification test):
1.907
Stock-Yogo weak ID test critical values:  5% maximal IV relative bias
13.91
                            10% maximal IV relative bias     9.08
                            20% maximal IV relative bias     6.46
                            30% maximal IV relative bias     5.39
                            10% maximal IV size             22.30
                            15% maximal IV size             12.83
                            20% maximal IV size              9.54
                            25% maximal IV size              7.80
Test statistic(s) not robust
Source: Stock-Yogo (2005).  Reproduced by permission.
---------------------------------------------------------Hanse
n J statistic
(overidentification test of all instruments):         3.738
         Chi-sq(2) P-val =    0.1543
-endog- option:

Endogeneity test of endogenous regressors:
0.308
                 Chi-sq(1) P-val =    0.5786
Regressors tested:    y2

what is the meaning of "singleton groups" and how to deal with it?

Thanks a lot
Joe