st: Special character in a plot's legend

From   "MA V" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Special character in a plot's legend
Date   Wed, 24 Jan 2007 01:07:24 +0000

Hi--
I am having some trouble adding a special character to a legend in a plot. Following the suggestion from a previous post, what I am doing is:
local sigma=char(228)
twoway histogram sig, den || spike max true, by(X) legend(label(2 "True")) yti(Density) xti("`sigma' for sets")

But, only a blank space appears where the character should be (in the legend).

I also tried
twoway histogram sig, den || spike max true, by(X) legend(label(2 "True")) yti(Density) xti("`char(228)")
but it didn't work...

I also read that this might happen for some fonts so I tried the same thing after changing the graph preferences to "Arial" and "Times New Roman" but this also didn't work.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Also, is there any way of adding subscripts in a legend?

Thanks,
MA

Note: I am using Stata9 for MAC

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here. Get all the scoop. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline2