st: random selection across files

From   Richard Goldstein <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: random selection across files
Date   Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:12:30 -0500

Dear all:

I have a data set (about 1.3 million lines) that is divided
into sets of strata (call them s1 w/3 categories and s2 w/12
categories).  I want to randomly draw a sample of 1000 from
each of s1 (the 3 category) -- no problem.  Then I want to
take this sample of 3000 and go to another, much smaller, file
that has the s2 stratification (12 categories) and randomly
select, with replacement, for each of the 3000 one piece of
information from the same s2 stratum.

It is the issue of going to the second file and grabbing one
piece of information and taking it back to the first file
that is causing me a problem.

It is possible, but by no means certain, that I could match
the two files (the second is supposed to be a subset of the
file w/1.3m lines) if that makes it easier for anyone.

Any advice on how to select this information from the
second, smaller file and get it back to the bigger file
would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Rich Goldstein