Re: st: error: variable present in model more than once when using

From   [email protected] (Jeff Pitblado, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: error: variable present in model more than once when using
Date   Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:45:52 -0600

Brent Fulton <[email protected]> is getting an error message from -svy
jackknife-:

> Note that the model below is a simplified version of the real model, which
> includes a dependent variable that could be considered continuous and 0/1
> independent variables. The variables {x1, x2, x3} represent a 4-level
> categorical variable, and the variables {x4, x5} represent a 3-level
> categorical variable.
>
> svy: reg dep1 x1 x2 x3   x4 x5   x1_x4 x2_x4 x3_x4    x1_x5 x2_x5 x3_x5
>
> Since the combined sets of variables represent 12 levels, I also tried
> another model where I created 12 interacted 0/1 variables (and each had at
> least 18 "1's") and ran:
>
> svy: reg dep1 interaction2-interaction12
>
> and it gave the same error: interaction10 present in model more than once
>
> Any other thoughts would be appreciated...because this is a really strange
> error considering what I am trying to do. Has anyone else ever had this
> error? (This is different than the more well known "(dropped)" text next to
> a variable in the output table due to perfect collinearity.)

I believe I know which routine is reporting the error message that Brent is
refering to, but I'm having trouble reproducing Brent's problem.

If Brent will email me privately with a dataset and do-file that reproduces
the problem, I should be able to get to the bottom of this quickly.

--Jeff