Re: st: RE: pooled ols interpretation, thanks

From   Constantine Daskalakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: pooled ols interpretation, thanks
Date   Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:31:38 -0500

There are a bunch of things going on here. I'll take a shot.

*** (1) I assume that the outcome refers to annual family income.

> i have just run a regression which gives the following results, i have
> to do pooled regression. lfam stands for log of family income so that
> my coefficient will give me a percentage instead of dollars.
>
> lfam coeff
>
> educ (years of education) 0.12
> d91 (year 1991) 0.08
> d92 (year 1992) 0.96
> d93 (year 1993) 0.07
> exper (work experience) 0.24

But I don't understand how you have only 3 years worth of data and still get these results for all 3 dummies (unless you are using a "no intercept" model?).

*** (2) The analyses are on the log scale. So, if we're talking natural log, then the effect estimate should be

exp(0.12) = 1.13.

Cross-sectional interpretation:

Everything else being equal, higher education by 1 year is associated with a 13% higher annual family income. More strictly, the 13% refers to a comparison of geometric means across two groups of people that are 1 year of education apart. This 13% holds for all years. It does not matter if we talk about 91, or 92, or whatever (because the model assumes no year-by-education interaction)..

*** (3) The original question was a bit subtle.

> if i have the above result, how do i interpet educ- 0.12
> normally, i would say a with an additonal year of education, there will
> be 12% increase in family income. However, since i have applied d91,
> d92, d93 to make the data pooled and cross sectional, does i mean 12%
> increase in family income for over the three years? or 12% increase
> family income for which year?

It talked about the same person gaining a year of education, i.e., about a longitudinal interpretation.

Indeed, in this case, we might say that 1 more year of education would gain this person an additional 13% in annual family income. But that's if "everything else is the same." Obviously, you can't gain a year's worth of education instantaneously (in order to have calendar year remain the same). So, for something like this, you would have to take into account the effect of time/year.

If, between 1992 and 1993, you gain 1 year of education, then your annual family income would be expected to increase (statistically speaking, this would happen instantaneously, as soon as you gained that additional year) by a factor equal to

exp(0.96-0.08+0.12) = exp(0.96-0.08)*exp(0.12) = 2.41 * 1.13 = 2.72

or, about threefold!

Of that 272%, only about 13% would be due to the educational gain (the rest would have occurred anyway just by the passage of time). But note that the partitioning is multiplicative (because of the log scale), not additive.