st: RE: ML with interval data

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: ML with interval data
Date   Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:52:29 +0100

--- Jeremy Cheesman wrote:
> I am attempting to evaluate mean / median WTP and confidence intervals for a
> contingent valuation survey using the payment card approach. This approach
> presents a survey respondent with a range of prices for some good and asks
> them to identify the highest price they would be willing to pay for the
> good. It is assumed that the respondent's true willingness to pay is bounded
> at the lower end by the amount they said they would pay and at the higher
> end by the next highest amount presented to the respondent (that they
> indicated they would not pay). Where the respondent indicates they would pay
> the highest price presented their WTP is unbounded (unbounded upper
>
> I am wondering if anyone has 'canned' parametric and / or non-parametric
> models to estimate these models or whether there are any guidelines for
> constructing these models in STATA?  For the parametric models I would like
> to evaluate normal and log-normal distributions, possibily truncating the
> normal distribution to allow for only non-negative WTP.

see -help intreg- (note that an estimate of the mean is the constant in a
regression without explanatory variables)

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam