Re: st: Oprobit in first stage of two-step model

From   "Arne Risa Hole" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Oprobit in first stage of two-step model
Date   Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:19:40 +0000

Hi Xinyi,

I think you would be better off using Mata in this case, as Stas
suggests. What makes things more complicated in your model compared to
the examples in my paper is that the predicted values from the first
stage model depend on the auxiliary parameters/ cut-off points along
with the index function which makes it difficult to express the C
matrix in -matrix accum- terms. It may be possible to do it but
calculating the scores for each variable in Mata seems to me to be an
easier solution in this case. Mata's element-by-element multiplication
operator :* will be helpful.

I agree with Stas that the ordered probit in the first stage seems a
little odd but of course I don't know anything about your application.

Good luck!

Arne