st: RE: joint significant

From   "White, Justin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: joint significant
Date   Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:23:19 -0500

The Wald Test is a joint significance test.  It depends on how you set
up the test if you want to determine if a specific coefficient has the
appropriate sign.  The results you included tell us:

Assuming you have a 95% confidence level criterion, you will fail to
reject the null hypothesis that the estimated coefficients are jointly
equal to zero with a confidence level of 91%.

There is no need to use an F-table.  The p-value given in the test tells
you the level of confidence.  As one of my professors told me
"statistical tables are for luddites".

Hope this helps.

Justin White

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Joanne
Marshall
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 12:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: joint significant

Dear Stata fellow,

If the result which I have worked out is for a joint sign test (Wald
test)

       F(  1,   538) =    2.1
           Prob > F =    0.0890

how can I tell if this is jointly significant or not? do I look at
0.0790 or
3.10 as F observ to compare with my F crit. Also from the stat. table,
do I
look for F crit under (1,538) at my desirable level on significance or
others?

Cheers
Jo