Re: st: comparing coefficients accross models

From   Traci Schlesinger <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: comparing coefficients accross models
Date   Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:45:05 -0600

Hi Partha!

yes, this is very helpful.  thanks for the suggestions.

best
traci

Partha Deb wrote:
Traci,

Your substantive question got my attention when you first posted, and I'll admit I didn't read your post, nor subsequent helpful posts carefully, so with due apologies to those who've made suggestions, etc. I'll suggest that the -suest- type test you had in mind initially seemed perfectly appropriate to me.

You have 2 equations.

y1 = b0 + b1 * x + u1
y2 = a0 + a1 * x + u2

You can think of these as a SUR, but if your regressors are the same in both equations (as I've written it out), there is no advantage to using an SUR procedure. But, it's perfectly reasonable to test the hypothesis: H0: b1=a1 using a Wald test. That's what -suest- does. Perhaps newey2 doesn't e(b) and V(b) from each model, which is what you need for the test (and -suest-), but ivreg2 should.

Hope this helps.

Partha