RE: RE: st: RE: RE: -oneway- and unequal variances - thanks

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: RE: st: RE: RE: -oneway- and unequal variances - thanks
Date   Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:03:36 -0000

Others have made what look like excellent suggestions, but
with regard to your specific question here:

1. Nothing in Stata is available to follow -kwallis-
that I know of.

2. I am not aware that what you seem to want is defined
in principle, but that means no more than it says,
"I am not aware".

3. But something similar in spirit would be obtainable
by transforming the data into ranks and then feeding
those to some analysis of variance and then following
by multiple comparison stuff. A visceral guess is that
is just going to add complication to your analysis, not
insight. At best you could interpret it in terms of
differences between mean ranks.

I would just be upfront about the non-constant variance
as an intelligible feature of the data, not be paranoid
about doing something technically invalid. It is likely
that your P-values are not literally correct, but then
few are.

Rajesh Tharyan