Re: st: AW: RE: RE: RE: -oneway- and unequal variances

From   "Michael Mitchell" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: RE: RE: RE: -oneway- and unequal variances
Date   Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:51:12 -0800

Greetings

Quoting
 My assumption is that
this is due to the high number of observations and almost equal-sized groups
(10 portfolios containing each approx. 1000 observations).

 The key is the "almost equal sized groups". ANOVA is very robust to
unequal variances when the group sizes are equal (regardless of
whether the groups are large or small). In that case, going with the
standard anova (especially after trying the fstar etc. methods) seems
very reasonable to me, and consistent with the literature.

Best luck,

Michael