st: RE: -oneway- and unequal variances

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: -oneway- and unequal variances
Date   Sun, 7 Jan 2007 20:23:17 -0000

A good pair of definitive references on the issues affecting
unequal-variance and equal-variance t-tests is Moser et al. (1989) and
Moser and Stevens (1992). These papers recomment the unequal-variance
t-test as the "standard default", and recommend the equal-variance
t-test as a "special case" for the "special occasion" where we "know"
that the population variance of the smaller sample can be estimated
using the sample variance of the l;arger sample. They do not recommend
the use of heteroskedasticity tests, essentially because
heteroskedasticity starts to affect the validity of confidence limits
before it starts to register in heteroskedasticity tests.

The subject of unequal-variance confidence intervals for median
differences is discussed in Newson (2006), and is a project in progress,
on which I am currently writing up a simulation study for publication. A
pre-publication draft of Newson (2006) can be downloaded from my website
(see my signature below). The software to implement these methods is the
-somersd- package, downloadable from SSC by typing

ssc install somersd, replace

in Stata 9.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

References

B. K. Moser, G. R. Stevens, C. L. Watts. 1989.
The two--sample t-test versus Satterthwaite's approximate F-test.
Communications in Statistics -- Theory and Methods 18(11): 3963-3975.

B. K. Moser, G. R. Stevens. 1992.
Homogeneity of variance in the two-sample means test.
The American Statistician 46(1): 19-21.

Newson R. 2006. Confidence intervals for rank statistics: Percentile
slopes, differences, and ratios.
The Stata Journal 6(4): 497-520.
Download pre-publication draft from www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/

Roger Newson