RE: st: Distribution fitting curiosity

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Distribution fitting curiosity
Date   Fri, 5 Jan 2007 21:39:57 -0000

I don't have any experience with any of the families of
Johnson distributions, but I am not very surprised at
this. In my experience, difficulties of fitting
distributions often explode as the number of parameters
goes from 2 to 3 to 4. (There aren't many families much
talked about with 5 or more.) This may surprise mightily
anyone who is accustomed to fitting models with many
more parameters without difficulty. I surmise that the
nonlinearity of the problem is to blame, although that's
pinning a label on the issue rather than explaining it:
indeed Joseph's comments here are much more precise than
I can supply in this case.

Thanks for the references.

Joseph Coveney