st: RE: Re: A wish list for Statalist

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: A wish list for Statalist
Date   Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:44:17 -0000

Two comments oblique to this, which I write as an author of
various FAQs, mostly on the Stata website, and of other
materials that others have occasionally wished to link
to or incorporate in their own.

Don't estimate the amount of maintenance needed. Each
new release of Stata brings a need to scan the FAQs to see
what is now out-of-date. If you have even a few dozen documents
that are notionally yours, that is a quite a lot of work --
not easily automated -- to fit into anyone's "spare time".

If you link to anybody's FAQs, revisions come for free;
if you copy material with acknowledgements to the author,
it's most unlikely that that author will keep you appraised
of updates. (Of course, links can disappear too, but that
is a well-known problem.)

William Gould, Stata