Re: st: RE: A wish list for Statalist

From   "David Elliott" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: A wish list for Statalist
Date   Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:42:27 -0400

Neil

While I applaud you initiative, I think you may be getting ahead of
where we may wish to go. (Or as my grandfather used to say when I
rushed into something, "you are a bit previous") If this is to be done
properly, it should have a proper needs assessment, feature
specifications and evaluation of available applications, be they for
forum or wiki - there are many flavours of each, all with advantages
and disadvantages.  Sometimes the most popular "free" products are not
the best choice, lacking proper administrative options or robustness
and having no vendor support.  So, as well intentioned as your effort
has been, you have in a way usurped the prerogative of the Statalist
to work through the process.  Perhaps as "proof of concept" your idea
is a good one, but I urge slow careful consideration of all options
here despite my pro-forum and pro-wiki postings.  "Softly, softly
catchee monkey" as the saying goes.

DCE